Following the announcement of the Offshore Wind Sector Deal in March 2019, Energi Coast has once again stepped up to the mark and committed to support the ambitions of the Sector Deal.
- The offshore wind sector is a UK success story; we have the largest installed capacity of offshore wind in the world. Offshore wind’s share of annual UK generation is estimated to reach 10 per cent by 2020. Subject to costs coming down, this commitment could see offshore wind contributing up to 30GW of generating capacity by 2030. This could account for over £40bn of infrastructure spending in the next decade
- UK wide there is 7,200 people directly employed in offshore wind. Developing the pool of qualified people is essential as this number will increase considerably.
- We now have commitment from the government to run regular Contracts for Difference auctions (our mechanism for supporting low carbon generation). This Deal has the potential to further build on the UK’s position as a world leader by providing long-term certainty to business. The last round opened in May 2019 and will be every two years thereafter.
- Commitment to increase UK content to 60 per cent by 2030
- An increase in the representation of women in the offshore wind workforce to at least a third by 2030.
- An ambition of increasing exports fivefold to £2.6bn by 2030.
- The sector will invest up to £250m in building a stronger UK supply chain, with the establishment of the Offshore Wind Growth Partnership (OWGP) to support productivity and increase competitiveness.
- In the UK we currently have around 8GW installed capacity in offshore wind, we could see offshore wind contributing up to 30GW of generating capacity by 2030 and potentially 50GW by 2050
- Over the next decade, there will be a huge expansion of offshore wind around the world with some estimates envisaging a 17 per cent annual growth from 22GW at present to 154GW in total installed capacity by 2030.
North East England aims to capitalise on developments within this vibrant industry, we will develop our skills base, infrastructure, supply chain and technology offering to ensure we see economic value for the benefit of our local community.